Friday 23 October 2015

Get The Big Things Right First

At the Canadian Federal election earlier in the week, Stephen Harper's government was defeated. A couple of days later I was reading an article in the paper and got quite emotional. It was a first for me. I am typically ambivalent about Canadian politics.

Justin Trudeau, the new Primer Minister, promised to undo a wide range of Stephen Harper's decisions. First, to take us out of combat missions in Syria. This was the biggie. To me, our role in the world should not be militaristic. We have a weak military. It's not what we are about.

It's not that I'm against fighting. There are times when we should fight. I just don't see how engaging in active conflict in the Middle East is constructive. I was proud and relieved when we stayed out of the Iraq war.

Then there were Harper's policy changes to muzzle scientists and his stance on the environment. It was hard to believe how we could take such blatant steps backwards in terms of science and fact based decision making. Trudeau has vowed to undo some of these measures and to increase science based leadership with greater transparency than ever before.

I am sure that Trudeau's government will have many failings but I believe that these principled intentions are sincere. Trudeau has already informed Barack Obama of his intent to withdraw Canada from airstrikes in Syria. No pussyfooting around. I like that. I was surprised at how relieved I was.

Values and principles are very important. They substantially define what we are and how people think of us. It is easy to lose sight of the big picture and get too caught up in relatively little things.

We all need to remember to get the big things right. First. Always.

I will be happy with the new Liberal government if they can deliver on a handful of key promises and frankly I am not too worried about the remainder of the long list of promises. Some will be met, some won't. Whether they are or aren't won't substantially affect my quality of life or how the world sees our great country.

No comments:

Post a Comment